Saturday, December 17, 2011

More about me on a Personal level ~ into my bpd

Other traits BP's seem to have in common (although not in the medical criteria) include nail biting, peeling skin from cuticals, foot or leg pumping when sitting, picking scabs, scraping, pulling at or cutting off other body developments, and squeezing pimples.

We have music running through our heads constantly. Many are sensitive to sunlight, and many have low blood pressure. We like rocking chairs, sometimes rocking even when we don't have a rocking chair, and we often lay in bed and rock ourselves to sleep. Borderline people are usually notably intelligent and talented.

There are two kinds of Borderlines; acting-in and acting-out. It is usually the acting-in borderlines who communicate on the internet. It is usually the spouses and friends of acting-out borderlines who come to the web looking for insight and understanding. Acting-in borderlines recognize their disorder and seek help while acting-out borderlines act as if their problems are caused by others and they are out to get even through a myriad of mean and destructive actions.
Acting-in borderlines often appear deceivingly competent. When the spouse of an acting-in borderline tries to explain feeling frustrated and abused to friends and acquaintances, the spouse may be perceived as exaggerating and overly-sensitive. But while the borderline may act quite competent and normal to the general public, behind the scenes the borderline is splitting, projecting, manipulating, and self abusing, creating a situation where the spouse feels he/she is "walking on eggshells" always in fear of disturbing the delicate balance of emotions the borderline is constantly battling. 

~ I guess I could classify myself as an acting in/out borderline based on whats weighing on my mind heart soul the heaviest.~

Sometimes my own thoughts are so overpowering I forget that someone is talking to me. This happens frequently when my bf or family members are explaining something to me, and suddenly I realize I have no idea what was said or talked about, so I pretend I've been listening, and try to catch up with the discussion. Once in a while they will say something like "you haven't heard a word I've said, have you?"


When I am feeling abandoned, angry, anxious, whatever, I grab the nearest earphones and listen to my music either on my phone or www.pandora.com. When I listen to music it helps erase my mind and envision myself acting out the lyrics to the songs as I tame the voices in my head. I harness the bad feeling by exerting energy, while I am mesmerized by the lyrics to the songs. 

Borderlines naturally sort of "hang on the periphery;" close enough so they still see themselves as part of the human race, but not so far away that the cut themselves off from all contact. One little bump could be enough to send a borderline over the edge

Borderlines hate being misunderstood, having all our actions (anger sadness, ect.) attributed to our BP diagnosis for their benefit, and having people tell us we dwell too much on the subject, that we should just "knock it off" or that we have "no right to feel that way."




Jerold Kriesman and Hal Straus, authors of "I Hate You - Don't Leave Me" refer to BPD as "emotional hemophelia; "a (borderline) person lacks the clotting mechanism needed to moderate his spurts of feeling. Stimulate a passion, and the borderline emotionally bleeds to death".
Quite frequently people with BPD have a very hard time controlling their emotions. They may feel ruled by them. One researcher, (Marsha Linehan) said "People with BPD are like people with third degree burns over 90% of their bodies. Lacking emotional skin, they feel agony at the slightest touch or movement."

A study of BPD patients at Harvard University produced a theory of genetic predisposition to developing BPD. The study found that in PD patients, the hippocampus and thalamic glands don't function the way they are suppose to, so once a BPD starts to feel an emotion, they can't control it (like an emotional hemophiliac).


Some information on depression in some Borderline people

Borderline Personality disorder (BPD: An independent, but frequently encountered side effect of Bipolar disorder (occasionally unipolar). The BPD label is applied to those with treatment - resistant bipolar disorder, rather than to another psychiatric term, because of the excessive mood of BPD patients.

"Borderline Personality Disorder (BPD) seems to be a syndrome not a disease. A syndrome is a bunch of symptoms that frequently occur together, while a disease represents a number of symptoms that occur together but which have a single cause. Malaria is a disease, congestive heart failure is a syndrome. Most psychiatric disorders are probably syndromes with multiple causes".
"It seems that there are two pathways by which one may develop BPD. The first is by way of early life abuse/neglect and the second is by way of having a bipolar disorder. Of course some of the people diagnosed with BPD have a history of both."

"When there is a significant degree of bipolarity in the makeup of someone with BPD, mood stabilizers and antidepressants can be very useful therapeutic modalities. When there is a history of neglect/ abuse without a personal or family history of bipolarity, medications have less to offer and psychotherapy becomes the primary treatment."

Depression in the borderline personality may represent expression of character, a reactive mood, or independent affective disorder. Research indicates it has both a core biologic dysregulation and a pathological personality organization. This requires the use of both medical and psychological therapy for comprehensive treatment.

No comments:

Post a Comment